So-called Gun Show Loophole - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > So-called Gun Show Loophole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm still waiting for the "like" button on the mobile app....
I "liked" that trip but not from my phone

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #72

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Which is quite interesting to me how Pat Burns has, for years, sold higher end Mosin-Nagant rifles from her web-site, with no FFL. These are all being sold from a "personal collection". I am sure what she is doing is legal, because there is no way to fly under the radar that long. Federal laws can be screwy, I do my best to err on the side of safety when doing any firearm transaction. Who knows, I may be BATF or you may be, you never know for sure, and I have never seen a gun deal good enough to go to jail for.
Is she selling only to C&R licensees? C&R to C&R can go door to door, no FFL; NICS or anything...except in New Jersey.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #73

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In practical terms, I'd really hate to be the guy who sold an AR-style rifle to a spree shooter. It would weigh on my conscience. I'd hate to sell a weapon to any criminal for that matter. Heck, they could have some rounds on 'em, cap me right after the transaction, and run off to cause all kinds of havoc.

Yes, you can transfer a weapon in a private sale without running an instant background check. But, should you? In my opinion, no. Not unless you know the person very, very, well. If you sell anything more than grand-dad's old single-shot .22, I'd seriously recommend having a background check run.

Of course, if you have the time, you could check the person out yourself. You know visit their girlfriend, wife, or mom and say, "Hey, Bob, here is buying a gun from me. . . "

If they say, "Oh My God, Oh My God!" Scream, tell their kids to git in the car, grab a suitcase, and burn rubber out of the parking lot. You probably don't want to sell Bob a gun.

The fact is every criminal, every spree shooter, and every nutcase is a threat to the 2nd Amendment. There shouldn't have to be a law to mandate a background check on a private sale. You should do it out of a sense of personal responsibility. There's that phrase - personal responsibility. We use it when we bitch about welfare queens, moochers, and freeloaders in our society. We should exercise it ourselves when it comes to selling our personal weapons.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #74
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
In practical terms, I'd really hate to be the guy who sold an AR-style rifle to a spree shooter. It would weigh on my conscience. I'd hate to sell a weapon to any criminal for that matter. Heck, they could have some rounds on 'em, cap me right after the transaction, and run off to cause all kinds of havoc.

Yes, you can transfer a weapon in a private sale without running an instant background check. But, should you? In my opinion, no. Not unless you know the person very, very, well. If you sell anything more than grand-dad's old single-shot .22, I'd seriously recommend having a background check run.

Of course, if you have the time, you could check the person out yourself. You know visit their girlfriend, wife, or mom and say, "Hey, Bob, here is buying a gun from me. . . "

If they say, "Oh My God, Oh My God!" Scream, tell their kids to git in the car, grab a suitcase, and burn rubber out of the parking lot. You probably don't want to sell Bob a gun.

The fact is every criminal, every spree shooter, and every nutcase is a threat to the 2nd Amendment. There shouldn't have to be a law to mandate a background check on a private sale. You should do it out of a sense of personal responsibility. There's that phrase - personal responsibility. We use it when we bitch about welfare queens, moochers, and freeloaders in our society. We should exercise it ourselves when it comes to selling our personal weapons.
gatordude, a private citizen cannot do a background check on another private citizen. that information is just not available to us.

different states have different regulations concerning private sales between two individuals. in Texas we can do a private transaction of any legal firearm without having to go through an FFL.

that said, you used the words personal responsibility. okay, fine. i agree that a person should exercise caution when selling a firearm. now my personal policy is simple, i will only sell to someone that i know islegal to won a firearm. now how would i know this without a background check? simple, i would only sell to a family member or a ery close friend that i knew was legal to own a firearm in the first place. another method i would use is to put it on consignment sale at my LGS and let him handle the FFL paperwork and background check. see how easy that was.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #75

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A friend of mine in Virginia sold a firearm and got a ton of calls from D.C. hoodlums. When he did find a buyer, they made the sale at a gunshop and paid $10 or $15 to get the background check run.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #76

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I have no problem eliminating all sales that do not include background checks. If this means private transfers become illegal, so be it. It might make transactions harder or take more time, but if it helps keep our streets safer, like I said, why not?

Of larger concern to me is how we might end up defining "mental illness" as it pertains to permit approval post-2013 Congress. Who is going to determine what types of "mentally ill" people get passed over? Homicidal maniacs= no, I get that. What about people who are bi-polar, or taking meds for A.D.D.? What about autism (such as Landa had?). Knowing Joe Biden, he will try to define NRA or Republican party membership as "mentally ill"

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #77
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I have no problem eliminating all sales that do not include background checks. If this means private transfers become illegal, so be it. It might make transactions harder or take more time, but if it helps keep our streets safer, like I said, why not?

Of larger concern to me is how we might end up defining "mental illness" as it pertains to permit approval post-2013 Congress. Who is going to determine what types of "mentally ill" people get passed over? Homicidal maniacs= no, I get that. What about people who are bi-polar, or taking meds for A.D.D.? What about autism (such as Landa had?). Knowing Joe Biden, he will try to define NRA or Republican party membership as "mentally ill"
the question remains, just who will make up the definitions, who would be doing this defining and what would their qualifications be? how would they decide who needed to be checked out and tested before the purchase of a firearm?

i see a very slippery slope here with a huge downside and not really any upside.

don't confuse my position here, as feel the truly mentally ill people that have some deep seated mental issues and could deviate towards violence should never have in their possession a firearm.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #78

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Is she selling only to C&R licensees? C&R to C&R can go door to door, no FFL; NICS or anything...except in New Jersey.
C&R doesn't allow you to be engaged in the business wether you are selling modern or C&R guns, if you're doing it to make a living or "try" to make a living you need an 01 FFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
The Orlando gunshows are almost always the same people with tables. In two buildings are a mix of dealers, and private tables. As stated earlier the private sales do not involve interstate commerce, so no backround check is required. A valid in state drivers license, and you will be asked if you have a felony (like that has not been lied about though). You are not even required to have a bill of sale.

That said, more private tables are calling the NCIS for verification. Not all, just some. At one of the last shows a buddy bought a used Glock 27 and we waited for them to call it in. They were not a dealer.

As for pricing in Florida. Usually my best deals have been at a gun show. The dealers all compete and will drop off the price on the tag. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk for $425 new, and a SR9c for $415 new. Both considerably under the MSRP.

I have been casually looking for a used gun private sale, as I do not believe they dump all of the registration every 72 hours. I think that is the basis of the database they will want if Obummer gets his way.

Beware the Executive Order. He knows what is good for us.
You have to have an FFL to use NICS. You need a full FFL number when you call and a code word so I don't know who this private guy "called" but it wasn't NICS.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #79

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
C&R doesn't allow you to be engaged in the business wether you are selling modern or C&R guns, if you're doing it to make a living or "try" to make a living you need an 01 FFL.

You have to have an FFL to use NICS. You need a full FFL number when you call and a code word so I don't know who this private guy "called" but it wasn't NICS.
Employers can run background checks on you with your permission, as a condition of employment -- to verify that you're not a convicted felon, etc as most manufacturing type jobs require you to be drug and crime free.

Many landlords will do the same thing before allowing you to live on their property.

I don't see why you can't call or fax a request to the local sheriff's department for a background check on someone before selling them a gun. Might take a day or 2 for them to run the check for you, but so what. is there any reason why the guy NEEDS to pay you and take the gun immediately? if he really wants to buy the firearm, then he should have no problem waiting while you have his background checked.

My sister works at the local sheriffs department, and said that pretty much anyone can run a check on anyone as long as they have the permission of the person being run, and you pay them the nominal fee (I think it's like $30) --make the person buying the gun pay for the fee, just like you would do at an FFL dealer for transfer.

or, go to the local FFL and pay them their transfer fee of $25-50 and have it done in 30 minutes.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #80

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Employers can run background checks on you with your permission, as a condition of employment -- to verify that you're not a convicted felon, etc as most manufacturing type jobs require you to be drug and crime free.

Many landlords will do the same thing before allowing you to live on their property.

I don't see why you can't call or fax a request to the local sheriff's department for a background check on someone before selling them a gun. Might take a day or 2 for them to run the check for you, but so what. is there any reason why the guy NEEDS to pay you and take the gun immediately? if he really wants to buy the firearm, then he should have no problem waiting while you have his background checked.

My sister works at the local sheriffs department, and said that pretty much anyone can run a check on anyone as long as they have the permission of the person being run, and you pay them the nominal fee (I think it's like $30) --make the person buying the gun pay for the fee, just like you would do at an FFL dealer for transfer.

or, go to the local FFL and pay them their transfer fee of $25-50 and have it done in 30 minutes.
Is there a reason you are quoting me? Private citizens do not have access to NICS, period. A local background check (which is what most companies do) and NICS are different.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.