Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > So-called Gun Show Loophole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Here's an argument that I've never heard made publicly. Why is it no big deal to sell a vehicle in which the speedometer will go up to 120mph, 150mph, or higher when the average speed limit across the country is only 55, 65, or maybe even 75mph?

Why is it that parents can buy their 16, or 17 year old a 3, or 4,000lb bomb that they can ride on the public roads and while text messaging, drinking, pot smoking, changing radio stations, or just being distracted can wipe out an entire family that's either crossing a street, or in their vehicle, or even a small child riding their bike? These things happen every single day!

Why is it an individual can get a driver's license at age 16 and never be tested again even if they live to be 90, except for maybe their vision? I'm retired LE and if I want to carry out of state under HR218 I'm required to be tested each year.

All these things can be compared to the argument that fast shooting guns, or hi capacity mags aren't necessary for duck hunting, or self defense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't recall the term hunting being mentioned in the 2nd Amendment even once. As a matter of fact, back then the citizenry were better armed than the military of that day.

I find it to be a strange coincidence that we just went through Hurricane Sandy where people were helpless and many lost their lives just like those at Sandy Hook who were helpless like sheep being slaughtered. Generators may have saved some lives during the hurricane where some decent individual with a gun might have prevented loss of life at the school.

The bottom feeding politicians have once again crawled out from under the woodwork to lecture us on how to live our lives. It is they who are ruining our lives and picking our pockets like highwaymen. They along with the news media and I include Fox forcing us to relive the tragedy 24/7 till we just can't bare it any longer. I now skip the news like it's the plague.

We're the master of our lives and no one cares more for our families than we do. We just can't let those so called leaders turn us into zombies with maggots for brains. The news media makes money from these kinds of tragedies, so try to find other subjects to focus on. I dislike talking politics for a number of reasons, but I hope I said something that at least makes a little sense.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 12-17-2012 at 08:07 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #22

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Here's an argument that I've never heard made publicly. Why is it no big deal to sell a vehicle in which the speedometer will go up to 120mph, 150mph, or higher when the average speed limit across the country is only 55, 65, or maybe even 75mph?

Why is it that parents can buy their 16, or 17 year old a 3, or 4,000lb bomb that they can ride on the public roads and while text messaging, drinking, pot smoking, changing radio stations, or just being distracted can wipe out an entire family that's either crossing a street, or in their vehicle, or even a small child riding their bike? These things happen every single day!

Why is it an individual can get a driver's license at age 16 and never be tested again even if they live to be 90, except for maybe their vision? I'm retired LE and if I want to carry out of state under HR218 I'm required to be tested each year.

All these things can be compared to the argument that fast shooting guns, or hi capacity mags aren't necessary for duck hunting, or self defense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't recall the term hunting being mentioned in the 2nd Amendment even once. As a matter of fact, back then the citizenry were better armed than the military of that day.

I find it to be a strange coincidence that we just went through Hurricane Sandy where people were helpless and many lost their lives just like those at Sandy Hook who were helpless like sheep being slaughtered. Generators may have saved some lives during the hurricane where some decent individual with a gun might have prevented loss of life at the school.

The bottom feeding politicians have once again crawled out from under the woodwork to lecture us on how to live our lives. It is they who are ruining our lives and picking our pockets like highwaymen. They along with the news media and I include Fox forcing us to relive the tragedy 24/7 till we just can't bare it any longer. I now skip the news like it's the plague.

We're the master of our lives and no one cares more for our families than we do. We just can't let those so called leaders turn us into zombies with maggots for brains. The news media makes money from these kinds of tragedies, so try to find other subjects to focus on. I dislike talking politics for a number of reasons, but I hope I said something that at least makes a little sense.
In a debate with a lady yesterday on the book of face she had the nerve to ask why the kids mom had "soooo many guns" when she didn't need that many. Of course when I asked her why she had what she had that is some how different. I can't tell you how many questions I have asked the gun grabbers that go unanswered. Oh another one of my favorites she thinks a $10k per round price was acceptable because that way gang bangers won't waste ammo.. Yep she also noted that your personal gun can be turned against you in a home invasion and when I pointed out that your favorite steak knife could be turned against you as well, "that was different". These people are truly unbelievable.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #23

Liked 4789 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

NICS is the largest gun registration data base in the world or in history. NICHS registers gun owners by age, race numbers and types of weapons purchased. Thru NICS the BATF can tell the number of guns bought by what race age group in any local in the country at any time. This only needs all private citizens added to become complete. The gun control advocates are about to close that door. If you want all private sales and records of grandpas old Civil War musket recorded you will likely get it before long. The idea that you will be able to claim you lost your guns is a streach. Like the IRS and lost income you will be responsible just the same.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #24

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
NICS is the largest gun registration data base in the world or in history. NICHS registers gun owners by age, race numbers and types of weapons purchased. Thru NICS the BATF can tell the number of guns bought by what race age group in any local in the country at any time. This only needs all private citizens added to become complete. The gun control advocates are about to close that door. If you want all private sales and records of grandpas old Civil War musket recorded you will likely get it before long. The idea that you will be able to claim you lost your guns is a streach. Like the IRS and lost income you will be responsible just the same.
Yep and it's all gone in 72 hours.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #25

I went to our local gun show this weekend and purchased a stripped AR lower. Not only was I required to fill out the paperwork for the registration and background check but I also had to show my carry permit.

At the time I didn't think anything of it. I had no idea AR's were considered handguns..? Can anyone shed light on this requirment?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8592 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

It is not a handgun, it is an "other". The categories are rifle and shotgun, and "other". A stripped lower can be built into a handgun or a rifle, thus is an "other"- which is why you have to be 21 to by a virgin, stripped lower.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #27

Liked 4789 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I don't know? You will see many FFLs that will not accept your CCW in place of the NICS check. Many FFLs will fear entrapment and run the Brady Check on every sale regardless.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #28

Thanks C3. Good information.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm happy to see that this thread stirred up a lively debate. Lots of good information.

I just didn't like hearing the anti-gun lobby putting out false, inflammatory propaganda to scare the uninformed public into supporting a new assault gun and / or high capacity magazine ban. Do I "need" an AK47 with 30 rounds clips? No, but for me, there's almost nothing more fun than putting 30 rounds down range through my AK. Why should I, a law abiding, responsible gun owner and CCW holder, active duty service member, have to give up my liberties?

As for my avatar. I changed it so as not to ruffle any feathers, but I'm surprised that us staunch supporters of the second amendment, wouldn't also respect the first amendment. New thread coming regarding the gun store in Arizona that ran an ad stating that if you voted for Obama, your business wasn't welcome there...

www.MyGunDiary.com

Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #30

Likes Given: 2

Default loophole

so basically there is always gonna be a so called "loophole" it just doesnt exist only at gunshows ,but everywhere until somethings are changed. Meaning that any of these crazys can get access to weapons without nics checks either through the local paper or an ad put up in the local quikmart? I think the only way to help stop it would be to make the seller held accountable if a check was not proformed. although sadly if i were to sell my used baseball bat to someone an they went out an killed a bunch of kids i would feel just as bad as had i sold them a gun. but at least with a gun i would have had the opportunity to do my due diligence on them.

by the way i live in arizona an id be curious to know where that store was?

Any press is good press i guess

Last edited by sugarayk; 12-19-2012 at 01:22 AM.