So-called Gun Show Loophole - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > So-called Gun Show Loophole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm jumping on this thread late so I hope I don't repeat too closely what has been said. Years ago, when I lived in Illinois I used to go the the gun shows reqularly...this was still during the asssault rifle ban of Clintons. The show was in a local venue, some local shops and private sellers. In Illinois you need a FOID card to get into this show. It worked out well for my wife and I since it was on the way to the range we frequented. Anyway, whenever we pulled up to the show, state and local police cars flanked the entrance. The bulding was maybe 3000 sq ft and had 4 rows of tables. When you paid your fee there was a cop there checking your FOID. And when you walked the aisles there were undercover police and federal agents present. No way, no how were there any illegal sales there. There was always an BATF info desk with an agent, and various forms and info on FFL applications. What the media portrays as normal is a dark back door deal kind of place, and the shows I have been to have certainly been the opposite.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #92

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Ve must see yer FOID card, now swine!

nazi.png  

Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #93
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Here in CA it is required to do a transfer through an FFL for all transactions. My dad recently died and left a pistol that he bought for him and mom back in 1983. I checked it all out and in order for mom to keep it she needs to get a Handgun Safety Card- $20- and fill out and send in a form to the state. Occasionally I will have a reason to want to see if a gun is "clean", and I have an LEO buddy who will do that for me over the phone, but if it comes up stolen then I have to surrender it to him- which I would have no problem doing anyhow.

For private party transfers I go in to the gun store and do it there with the purchaser having to wait 10 days as required. It costs $35 normally, buyer pays (this is customary here in CA). The PITA at gun shows is when you buy from a dealer out of the area. I picked one up from a place in San Diego, had to do a transfer to a local dealer and the paperwork through them. Wait 10 days and go to pick it up locally. Serious PITA and additional cost make that a rare occasion for me.

I don't see it as unreasonable for there to be a means to do BCs at gun shows, or at gun stores, for a low cost. An FFL could set up a booth there at the show where BCs can be done for private transfers. But at the same time I think it should be allowed for me to sell to my buddy whom I know for a fact not to be a felon without a BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunLover1969 View Post
As for my avatar. I changed it so as not to ruffle any feathers, but I'm surprised that us staunch supporters of the second amendment, wouldn't also respect the first amendment. New thread coming regarding the gun store in Arizona that ran an ad stating that if you voted for Obama, your business wasn't welcome there...

www.MyGunDiary.com
Just chimed in here for the first time after reading through the thread and saw that nobody had replied to this comment (although the comment is stale at this point).

Dude, you are on a forum where freaking ALL of us support all of the Amendments, including the First Amendment. Have you read it yourself? It says that the government shall "make no law... abridging the freedom of speech..."

Last time I checked nobody here is making any laws on anything.

Having Che Guevera as your avatar was your choice. The mods can tell you to take it down if they like. It is a private forum and the content shown here (including your avatar) is at the full discretion of the site owner. Members here commented that your avatar was offensive, Guevera was a despicable person (and he was) etc., etc., etc.. That is our right to do so. You chose to take down your own avatar based on the negative response it was receiving. Good move.

So don't be a crybaby in somebody else's playground.

Now, nice avatar you have chosen.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #94

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hi all i am going to my first gun show in PA tomorrw

I have few questions i hope i can get some feed back on.

Will i be able to purchase a semi auto rifle and have it shipped to my local ffl evan if its not state legal since i reside in NJ?

if so do i have to ship to a ffl that has a gun smith on the premises to convert the rifle to nj legal? or can i pick up the rifle from my local ffl and then take to gunsmith to convert?

If i buy a gun from a private seller who is a NJ resident will i be able to transport it back to NJ from PA?

thanks for you help in advance.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #95

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger164 View Post

Will i be able to purchase a semi auto rifle and have it shipped to my local ffl evan if its not state legal since i reside in NJ?

if so do i have to ship to a ffl that has a gun smith on the premises to convert the rifle to nj legal? or can i pick up the rifle from my local ffl and then take to gunsmith to convert?

If i buy a gun from a private seller who is a NJ resident will i be able to transport it back to NJ from PA?

I would suggest when in PA look for a job and a place to live there. Then move there.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #96

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I know many people that sell guns and gun accessories at the local monthly gun shows that do not have a FFL and it is not in violation of any laws. If it was the BATFE agents would have a field day at the West Palm Beach Florida monthly show. Yes, there are more BATFE agents present than jerky sales people not to mention the undercover guys, sheriffs and the local police department. Note: there are no gun sales allowed within the supplied parking areas and it is enforced by undercover security personnel.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #97
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Tugger- you need to check with a local gunsmith there in Jersey to see what they can accept. However, you are only going to find ARs at screamingly high inflated prices-if you find any at all. You waited too long. Sorry, bro.

As far as a private sale- it is illegal in ALL states for you to buy directly from a private seller that is a resident of another state. That is a sale across a State Line- which requires a FFL.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #98

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger164

No. No one can possess an illegal rifle, not even an FFL. Parts are another matter. Take the lower with you and have the upper shipped to the FFL for "Jerseyfication."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #99

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Tugger- you need to check with a local gunsmith there in Jersey to see what they can accept. However, you are only going to find ARs at screamingly high inflated prices-if you find any at all. You waited too long. Sorry, bro.

As far as a private sale- it is illegal in ALL states for you to buy directly from a private seller that is a resident of another state. That is a sale across a State Line- which requires a FFL.
C3, private sale of a handgun is illegal across state lines, rifle also ?

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #100

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth

C3, private sale of a handgun is illegal across state lines, rifle also ?
Rifle is legal IF, always the big if, the rifle is purchased from a licensed dealer and your resident state permits it and the purchase state permits it. There is no federal prohibition of interstate long arm purchases. One other consideration is that the rifle be legal to possess in your resident state.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington