So-called Gun Show Loophole
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > So-called Gun Show Loophole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default So-called Gun Show Loophole

I was watching one of the Sunday morning debate shows today and I kept hearing one of the anti gun panel members talking about the gun show loophole. She was stating that buyers don't need a background check in order to buy guns at a gun show. Now admittedly, I've only been to gun shows here in my home sate of Washington, and I've only been to gun shows put on by the Washington State Arms Collectors, of which, only members can purchase guns at the shows and members can sell to other members because the club, Washington State Arms Collectors does a background check on all members when they join. Even though I've never been to gun shows in other states, I find it hard to believe that a buyer can purchase a gun at a gun show without a background check. Is the the case? What are the regulations/laws? www.MyGunDiary.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #2

Liked 519 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 236

I'm sorry, but looking at Che Guevara who was a marxist revolutionary is making me feel a little uncomfortable for some strange reason. I'm sure he would've been against gun shows, period.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunLover1969 View Post
I was watching one of the Sunday morning debate shows today and I kept hearing one of the anti gun panel members talking about the gun show loophole. She was stating that buyers don't need a background check in order to buy guns at a gun show. Now admittedly, I've only been to gun shows here in my home sate of Washington, and I've only been to gun shows put on by the Washington State Arms Collectors, of which, only members can purchase guns at the shows and members can sell to other members because the club, Washington State Arms Collectors does a background check on all members when they join. Even though I've never been to gun shows in other states, I find it hard to believe that a buyer can purchase a gun at a gun show without a background check. Is the the case? What are the regulations/laws? www.MyGunDiary.com
No such thing as a gun show loophole. Every licensed dealer in the Unites States is required to perform a background check on every sale...whether it takes place in their store, a gun show, or the mens room of the local Walmart. What the anti gunners refer to as the "loophole" is a sale that takes place between two residents of a state...such a sale is not considered to be interstate commerce so the BATFE basically has no jurisdiction over it, state law applies exclusively so if the state permits the sale there is no federally required NICS (backgroung check.)

Now about that avatar...Che was a murderous scumbag, not a post modern hero and I find his image to be repugnant. Don't be surprised if most people here simply ignore you because of it, just MHO.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #4

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

FFL dealers still have to do the paperwork, even at gun shows. Only private sellers can sell weapons without the paperwork.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #5

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

In our culture the short span of thinking requires a catch phrase. Col. Sander used Finger Lick'in good to sell fried chicken. The antigun campaign uses Saturday Night Specials, Assault Rifles and Gun Show Loop Holes to sell their chicken Sh&t. The gun show Loop Hole is code for lets ban firearms exchange between citizens. Now lets say we passed the Loop Hole Law. How can you enforce it? We would have to register every gun to every owner. Oh yes Alice, they forgot to mention that little detail.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #6

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

In Washington I have been to shows and no background check is done. Maybe these people qualify as private sellers but lets be real a table with a hundred guns isnt me selling a gun to my neighbor who I know isn't a felon. They have only checked for a drivers license to check for state residence (which is ineffective anyway).

Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #7

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

What are you saying? I really doubt your statement. I attend gun show large and small. Any dealer who has 100s of guns and is doing no Brady Checks is one day from a Federal Pen. The law allows individuals to sell personal firearms if both parties live in the same state.

There are more BATF agents at large gun shows than Jerky Salesman. They are checking every one who has more than a few guns. They check idividuals who do repeat shows. They audit gun show transfers. The owners of gun show are now required to report every dealer that buys a table.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Likes Given: 2

Default loopholes dont matter?

now what i think some people might be referring to is the transactions that happen between people at the show or in the parking lot. ive been to a few gun shows actually one just today an im not 100% sure but i believe ANYONE can pay to set up a vendor (non-dealer) table an sell just about anything they want so long as they pay the fee. I did see some individuals in the far off corners selling odditys, toys, books, knives along with a few weapons. What i want to know is at what point is some one considered a "dealer" as opposed to a weekend vendor??? It wont matter anyway because all anyone has to do is go to the local backpages.com website an find just about anything one could be looking for. So even if the so called "loophole is closed" how do you regulate that.

Ray in AZ

Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

First, it is ILLEGAL to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns without a Federal Firearms License. In ANY state. There is no such thing as a legal "weekend vendor". Doing this on a regular basis, you'd best have a license.

There is no magic number of sales- it is defined as "devoting time and attention to making a livelihood".

A Dealer (without regard to where the sale takes place) MUST do the same paperwork, same background check as if they were in their shop.

CAN I legally set up a table at a gun show, flea market, or yard sale and sell guns? Yes- on an occasional basis. I can also legally (in most states) put a note on the bulletin board at QwikEmart, an ad in the local paper, etc, and sell to a resident of my state that I do not have cause to believe cannot own a gun.

"Gun Show Loophole" is a created term- like "Sniper rifle" or "Assault Rifle" or even "Cowboy Hat" (worn by cowboys- everyone else wears Western hats).

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, it is ILLEGAL to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns without a Federal Firearms License. In ANY state. There is no such thing as a legal "weekend vendor". Doing this on a regular basis, you'd best have a license.

There is no magic number of sales- it is defined as "devoting time and attention to making a livelihood".

A Dealer (without regard to where the sale takes place) MUST do the same paperwork, same background check as if they were in their shop.

CAN I legally set up a table at a gun show, flea market, or yard sale and sell guns? Yes- on an occasional basis. I can also legally (in most states) put a note on the bulletin board at QwikEmart, an ad in the local paper, etc, and sell to a resident of my state that I do not have cause to believe cannot own a gun.

"Gun Show Loophole" is a created term- like "Sniper rifle" or "Assault Rifle" or even "Cowboy Hat" (worn by cowboys- everyone else wears Western hats).
You are right but I know whatHectocotylus is saying. The local shows here will have both FFL dealers from shops and some private sellers. Some of these I've seen with a pretty big table(s) of guns and I have seen them in more than one city doing a show. Hell, be in this area the last weekend in Oct and the Court Days festivals are going on in two different towns that are loaded with people buying, selling, trading guns.Many of which can have as many as 2-3 tables of guns set up. And I've never seen a FFL dealer at the festivals.
Not I will say those guys at the fest I have not seen at an other gun show or gathering but many of those venders go some place to place selling things. Great place for tools and other misc stuff by the way. If you're going to be in Central Ky around that time it's well worth checking out.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

papataylor65 Likes This