My 1st gun show, my 1st two purchases?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > My 1st gun show, my 1st two purchases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My 1st gun show, my 1st two purchases?

Bought my first two sks rifles at the Ohio Bureau gun show on April 28/29. Bought one on sat and one on sun. What was interesting, is that I bought one from a licensed dealer and one from a private collector. The licensed dealer had to run a background check on me and the private collector said we had only to exchange ids (Ohio) to make it legal (gun show loop hole I guess). I said, we'll how do you know that I'm not a criminal? He said, I saw you buy one from the guy behind me yesterday, I knew you were good to go. I said again, how do you really know? He said, I don't. I take the same risk as you if you were selling your gun to your neighbor. Most of the same laws apply. Not too sure where I fall on this one yet? It just made me think twice, because I sold about half of my guns (mostly shotguns) before I moved a few years ago to someone I really didn't know that well. BTW, the place was packed arm to arm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know about Ohio legal idiosyncracies, but if you are talking about the show at the Cuyahoga Fairgrounds, I was there Sunday. It was definately a good show. That was where I traded my S&W 28 for a 19 and $. I also found an interesting piece, a Maadi, made in Egypt, bought it and had it resold same day.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgable on Ohio gun laws can fill in the blanks here. In Pa., long guns can be sold without a 4473, but not handguns. Is the Buckeye the same?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Kreecher: How many cars have you sold before? Did you know the buyer didn't have a drinking problem and could use your car to carelessly run someone down? Criminals aren't trolling through gun shows, casually purchasing their weapons. There is no "gun show loophole." It's s sale of a used product between two citizens.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #4

Yeah I'm talking about the one in Cuyahoga. It was a great show, they'll be back in july, can't wait. It's not really a gun show loop hole (as the left would call it), just interesting. Something I didn't expect, nor did I know that under cover agents work the shows. Nor did I know that the private collector or myself could have been arrested if I was a felon.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

The private collector said one thing to me which I thought was good advice. Just because you don't fill out the paper work doesn't mean that the same laws don't apply. I'm going to think twice about selling any of my own personal guns to some yahoo that I don't even know, like i did a few years ago.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

kreecher MOST (not all) states don't require much if any paperwork between private sellers. It's been that way for quite some time.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #7

I hope it stays that way. I'm not a big fan of the govt knowing everything I own or their stupid laws. Didn't know anything about this 922r stuff. Going to cost me about an extra hundred or so to make one of my sks that I just bought technically legal. Live and learn I guess.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

The private seller has no choice. He can not do a "check" on you. He could sell his guns to a dealer for reduced prices or sell to a private party with no "check".

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreecher View Post
I hope it stays that way. I'm not a big fan of the govt knowing everything I own or their stupid laws. Didn't know anything about this 922r stuff. Going to cost me about an extra hundred or so to make one of my sks that I just bought technically legal. Live and learn I guess.
TAPCO has a nice little section on their site about it http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #10

922r seems to be all over the map? Picked up my T/C rifle (that's another thread) from my local gunsmith. Asked him about 922r, he said don't won't worry about. I don't know what to think anymore? Took Dad out fishing this weekend on lake Erie (he's 73), had the DNR asking us for our licenses in 3ft rollers, 6 miles out, 5ft away with binoculars. Felt so sorry for my Dad trying to find his license. Govt getting a little crazy, regardless of what front you are on.