Help your fellow man! Don't buy!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Help your fellow man! Don't buy!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Help your fellow man! Don't buy!!

Gun show just blew out of Arizona this weekend.

I was at walmart buying some ammo and some POS comes right behind me and buys all the .45 and .40 boxes of ammo.

100 count WB is 34.00 at walmart. He tells his wife we'll sell em for 50.00. He had a calculator and eveyrthing!

This a-hole has no over head, no expenses. Just ripping off hard working people is what they do. A carnie gets more respect from me than gun show guy.

Remember the next time you go to buy .45 ammo at 18.00 a box at walmart and see none. gun shop guy and gun shop guy are bending you over. Just don't buy it from them.

Now, specailty ammo sure. That's cool for gun shop guy or gun show guy. I mean that's what we expect. But not Winchester WB at a 25-35 mark up. for no reason

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I sell raffle tickets for the FNRA at gun shows. Does this mean I am a low life or a POS? One POS does not make everyone a POS by association. I have met some very decent people at the shows and some not so nice ones too. Know your prices and know how to tell a dog from a pony. Private sales are legal here so I watch out for the people selling privately. I have picked up some good buys. You always get someone who wants all the money they paid for the gun including the taxes but they usually go home with their gun. By the way, they do have overhead and expenses. They have to pay for their table and since they are on the road they will have a hotel or RV park plus meals. Buying up all the ammo at Walmart is not so nice but they will have more next week and you know not to buy from him if you see him.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I picked up 1,000rds of .45ACP 230gr ball for $290, out the door, at the Ventura Gun Show on Sunday. That worked out to $13.25 per 50, plus tax.

And the seller was very friendly.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #4

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Ya, that is a bunch of bs, there's a guy like that at my local gun show, the one thing I'm always on the lookout for is the best deal on primers at the show, usually can get em for around 30 bucks a 1000, then you get to this guys table and he sells the same ones for 55, I won't buy anything from guys like that

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Karma. It has a way of sneaking up on you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Yeah I've noticed this too in michigan. I try to hit the stores that sell ammo just to check prices before I go to a show. The lgs here in jackson is kinda high too. Dunhams and dicks sporting goods have the best prices. 45-70govt are just over 30 at dicks but go for 40 at the shows

Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Capitalism at it's finest.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

The LGS just can not compete with box stores. I still buy small quantities at the LGS when I need them. They are higher on primers but shipping eats you up if I order. I know they are getting hit with price increases too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, you'll see this behavior. It's a black mark on our passion and as a member of the industry, I don't like it. Still, he has the right to do it and if someone has the lack of knowledge to pay what he asks, it's on them. Better to allow free enterprise than to restrict it. By this way to stock his tables, you see who is just being mercenary and who is in the business. If he had wholesale accounts and was really in the business, he doubtfully would have been replenishing inventory at Wally World, though stranger things happen. Even a hobby businessman can set up wholesalers to buy stock from. You just need to have the proper credentials.

You'll see this attutude no matter where you go. People, fortunately the minority, will try to take advantage of any market that they can attempt to make a buck at. We see that in those that sell at gun shows where you see the same prices you can get over the counter at any shop, if not more. You see it every single day on eBay and even now on the firearm auction sites. No bargains there for the most part. Occassionally, but not like there used to be. I saw it when I used to buy & sell classic car parts and I vendored at swap meets. You'll get those that feel they have gold plated whatever on their tables and ask ridiculous prices for the same. They'll learn eventually when they find themselves married to their inventory. It's up to us to be educated consumers. I'm gratified to see that more and more firearm enthusiasts are just that. Yes, I sell guns and want to see people understand the market and pricing. If you're fair with people, they'll see that and it's good for business. Better to have repeat clients where you make less per sale but create more sales and have them refer you to their friends and family than to make a few sales and rake in bigger profits a few times. This shows who has business sense and who's just in it for a while to make a cash haul while they can.

Bottom line is that if you go to a show and see this guy selling, just walk away from his table.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 03-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I was told the ammo at walmart had a W or something in the item # and could be identified. Anybody know if that is true? That might be something to watch out for, if you don't keep current on your ammo prices.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.