Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun Store Commando

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL

MAN...thank you for telling me that all my Glocks needed to be thrown away because that reliability issue would rear up and show it's ugly head!

The one pictured below is a time bomb-a-tickin! It was issued to me by the department over 20 years ago, and it has 300 THOUSAND plus rounds through it with one SINGLE malfunction (a crap Sherer range mag was the culprit). It could cause a hole in the time-space continuum if allowed to continue to exist!

BUT...what MIM parts? There are none in a Glock. There are NO parts that can't be replaced in a Glock. Unless they have changed into different guns since I went to Glock Armorers School and became a department armorer, and no one told me....bastards!

Whew...glad I know now!
How many barrels have you gone through?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessguy01 View Post
How many barrels have you gone through?
I am on the original Glock barrel.

The only thing I have done is change springs (I use Wolffe)....every 20K rounds or so, just as a preventative measure. I still have the original 3 magazines that we were issued, and I have only ever swapped springs on those. The followers remain un scathed (helpful hint to ANYONE who has a magazines with plastic followers...NEVER drop the slide over an empty magazine, that's what chews up followers).

I have so many rounds through this particular pistol because I shot it for 15 years in PCL, USPSA, and IDPA...I am one of those: "Compete with what you carry" guys. It was also my primary carry gun for years.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL

I am on the original Glock barrel.

The only thing I have done is change springs (I use Wolffe)....every 20K rounds or so, just as a preventative measure. I still have the original 3 magazines that we were issued, and I have only ever swapped springs on those. The followers remain un scathed (helpful hint to ANYONE who has a magazines with plastic followers...NEVER drop the slide over an empty magazine, that's what chews up followers).

I have so many rounds through this particular pistol because I shot it for 15 years in PCL, USPSA, and IDPA...I am one of those: "Compete with what you carry" guys. It was also my primary carry gun for years.
Christ I hope I get that kind of lifespan out of my 19

Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 578

When you're in Portland, I suggest Kieth's, not exactly Portland but close and worth the short drive.

I was one of those "No plastic guns for me". Now I have two Glocks and thinking seriously about an M&P 40.

Last edited by Mongo; 05-22-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Detail

Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessguy01 View Post
Christ I hope I get that kind of lifespan out of my 19
There's no reason to expect not to. Remember, the Glock was designed and conceived in the 17 platform to be a 9mm. The 19 is just a "Commander" version of the same gun, and it was designed from get-go to function with "european" pressure 9mm ammo that would also be used in submachineguns (as was the other GREAT 9mm, Browning Hi Power).

Literally the only failure I have EVER had with a Glock was the one I mentioned above. I was using an aftermarket Sherer magazine with the +2 floorplate. It came in a trade I had done, and I used it as a range magazine. I had a single FTF, and I "repaired my gun" by ****canning the Sherer magazine, and pulling a Glock factory mag out of my mag pouch and had no other issues.

The Gen 3 Glock 22 that I was issued some years later has a round count well into the tens of thousands, and I have had absolute 100% reliability with it as well. There is LOTS of holster wear around the muzzle, as it was my duty gun for YEARS, and as such was in and out of the holster a bazillion times...but mechanically, it is perfect as well.

I have 14 (18 if you count my wife's 4 Glocks~she is an officer too and carries a Glock 17RTF on duty, and a Glock 26 as a BUG) Glock pistols in the house now, and wouldn't expect any of them not to perform as well as that first Glock 19.

The reality is...most guns will outlive their owners. Most people will never fire enough volume out of their handgun to "wear it out" assuming it is a quality gun in the first place.

As it was explained to me years ago by a guy who was a metalurgist...heat is what really kills something like a weapon. Prolonged and sustained fire into the many many hundreds of rounds at one session will cause changes in the metal at a molecular level. However those same hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of rounds, fired in "typical" defensive situations, competitions, range sessions, or whatever won't damage the gun as it simply doesn't generate the heat to do it.

Most pistol matches like IDPA or USPSA only involve 100-150 rounds max. So, that isn't going to do it either. The polymer of the Glock, USP, M&P, SR9, FNH....etc...shed heat better, and the elastic nature of the polymer doesn't have the "warpability" of steel.

I have a Colt Commander (alloy frame) with about 25K rounds through it, and a none of that was lightweight target rounds...it was all 230 ball, or +P self defense ammo...and it hasn't developed the infamous "frame crack" you read so much about, but never seem to actually see unless it is in a picture in a gun mag or on a shop wall.

Even the Smith & Wesson Model 19 and 66 Combat Magnums which were THE standard magnum wheelgun for years in cop holsters were supposed to wear out with a steady diet of 357 ammo. I never had it happen and I shot the crap out of a few K Frame magnums, and never had a timing or wear, or topstrap cutting issue on any of them.

Can it happen? Yep. Would I or should you reasonably EXPECT it to happen? No.

Unless you plan to fight a war, by yourself, using ONLY your sidearm...I don't think you're going to be able to wear out your gun before it wears you out.

Be safe, shoot a lot, and have fun.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #26

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude

That's a riot. Ever since I launched my boat without putting the drain plugs in, I've pretty much known that parachuting, flying a private plane, and reloading are right out for me.
As the great Dirty Harry Callahan once said...
"A man has got to know his limitations"

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #27

Likes Given: 6

My pistols are of the all-metal form, but not because of a fear of polymers failing. My Browning Hi-Power is forty yrs old, bought when I was a teen with my father, and my SIG P220 .45 & .22lr has an alloy frame and all steel slide. I have spent most of my $$ on rifles and tools ( learning to become a p/t gunsmith ) as of late, but there are a few polymer frames I would purchase, a GLOCK being one of them. I have the Model 22 in mind, so I can have a .40 and purchase the 9mm barrel and magazine for it for a quick conversion and a model 34 looks like a nice shooting piece.

If there were a problem with the polymers, boy are a couple million people gonna be pissed off some time in the future. :-) Since Glocks have been out I think close to 30+ yrs, I'm not sure when that moment of failure is due to arrive. Maybe......when the Rapture gets here...yeah...at that time... dual event, that must be it. There has to be at least 1 million Glocks sold in this country since they have come out, and HK, S&W, Ruger now SIGS, and at least 15-20 other makes that use polymer frames.

Funny about that gun shop up in Portland, Or, there is a really nice gun shop, huge inside accessories section, nice inside 50yd rifle range, sub machine guns to rent, 2 pistol ranges, probably about 100 new pistols in stock and 40-50 used ones, but they are priced so high on almost everything!! I went shooting with a friend of mine a few months ago, and he saw a holster for sale there for $94.95 and he had just purchased it online for under $50. Then I saw a Shooters Ridge Bi-Pod for $169.99 that I think I have seen for about $39-49.99. I didn't think Shooters Ridge sold bipods that expensive.

I have been a member for a few yrs and I guess about a year ago I went shooting at the indoor rifle range to sight in a new scope. I didn't realize that the indoor rifle range costs 50% more than the pistol range and was $7 short of cash on hand, or so I thought. Now...I have been in sales and marketing for over 35 yrs, and a quality/dignified thing to do would have been to just say.."HEY pay us next time you come back" to end a very embarrassing situation. BUt no....the women there almost layed an egg and said oh..lemme check with the manager...and started talking nonsense about if I didn't pay this $7, a sheriff would come over the state line from Pa to Md and serve me with some papers or something. Hahahaaha....I am almost started laughing inside if I was't so embarrassed, but I usually carry a ten or twenty dollar bill hidden in my wallet for emergency' and luckily I did find it. BUt man....what a crock of **** about sending a sheriff over the state line to serve me for $7.... Needless to say...I go there very little from now on, unless weather forces the issue or something. But all their pistols and rifles are listed for full MSRP. I don't think I have ever seen anyone BUY a gun there, just use the range. My friend asked if they had a service to clean his AR since he is a little lazy sometimes and wanted a good cleaning. They did have that service....for $80! Hah.....he cleaned it himself that evening :-) They could have such a great set up if they had good prices and didn't treat people like crap sometimes , not all the time, but I almost felt humiliated over a stupid $7 bill. Oh well...they must make so much money it doesn't matter .

Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL

There's no reason to expect not to. Remember, the Glock was designed and conceived in the 17 platform to be a 9mm. The 19 is just a "Commander" version of the same gun, and it was designed from get-go to function with "european" pressure 9mm ammo that would also be used in submachineguns (as was the other GREAT 9mm, Browning Hi Power).

Literally the only failure I have EVER had with a Glock was the one I mentioned above. I was using an aftermarket Sherer magazine with the +2 floorplate. It came in a trade I had done, and I used it as a range magazine. I had a single FTF, and I "repaired my gun" by ****canning the Sherer magazine, and pulling a Glock factory mag out of my mag pouch and had no other issues.

The Gen 3 Glock 22 that I was issued some years later has a round count well into the tens of thousands, and I have had absolute 100% reliability with it as well. There is LOTS of holster wear around the muzzle, as it was my duty gun for YEARS, and as such was in and out of the holster a bazillion times...but mechanically, it is perfect as well.

I have 14 (18 if you count my wife's 4 Glocks~she is an officer too and carries a Glock 17RTF on duty, and a Glock 26 as a BUG) Glock pistols in the house now, and wouldn't expect any of them not to perform as well as that first Glock 19.

The reality is...most guns will outlive their owners. Most people will never fire enough volume out of their handgun to "wear it out" assuming it is a quality gun in the first place.

As it was explained to me years ago by a guy who was a metalurgist...heat is what really kills something like a weapon. Prolonged and sustained fire into the many many hundreds of rounds at one session will cause changes in the metal at a molecular level. However those same hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of rounds, fired in "typical" defensive situations, competitions, range sessions, or whatever won't damage the gun as it simply doesn't generate the heat to do it.

Most pistol matches like IDPA or USPSA only involve 100-150 rounds max. So, that isn't going to do it either. The polymer of the Glock, USP, M&P, SR9, FNH....etc...shed heat better, and the elastic nature of the polymer doesn't have the "warpability" of steel.

I have a Colt Commander (alloy frame) with about 25K rounds through it, and a none of that was lightweight target rounds...it was all 230 ball, or +P self defense ammo...and it hasn't developed the infamous "frame crack" you read so much about, but never seem to actually see unless it is in a picture in a gun mag or on a shop wall.

Even the Smith & Wesson Model 19 and 66 Combat Magnums which were THE standard magnum wheelgun for years in cop holsters were supposed to wear out with a steady diet of 357 ammo. I never had it happen and I shot the crap out of a few K Frame magnums, and never had a timing or wear, or topstrap cutting issue on any of them.

Can it happen? Yep. Would I or should you reasonably EXPECT it to happen? No.

Unless you plan to fight a war, by yourself, using ONLY your sidearm...I don't think you're going to be able to wear out your gun before it wears you out.

Be safe, shoot a lot, and have fun.
Thanks, I was a steel frame guy myself and had the small minded view of polymer guns but I'm glad I grew up, I'll be shooting idpa in the coming months and I'll probably use the glock over my 1911, it's a great little shooter!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done some unofficial IDPA shoots with my M&P 9 Pro Series, and it's been excellent.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #30

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Dang! Guy blew up one gun kept going.

Two guns, kept going.

Three guns, he's still going.

I'd have invested in a decent

reloading manual after the first gun blew up.

He does know "grains" and "grams" are

completely different units of measurement, right?