Gun Store Commando - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun Store Commando

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
3rd KB? You were not wrong, Reloading is not his forte.
Many people go their whole lifetime without one.
Metal vs. Polymer? I'm in the metal frame camp but, I say live & let live. As for which one is better to blow up? Seems like a stupid argument to me. Blowing up anything in your hand is a dangerous thing and should be avoided. Frag goes everywhere without any concern over the type of pistol it was originally contained in. What about bystanders? Anyone want someone's kid struck by a piece of their gun?
Ya think? It'll be another 10 years before I go back to that shop. Their prices were outrageous and the ATTITUDE completely over the top! Honestly, I've no idea how they stay in business.

Portland must be full of guys who like to be talked down to and enjoy overpaying for guns?

Tack

Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quite a few years ago, Shooting Times had a picture of a Smith 29 and a Blackhawk both damaged by improper reloads. Apparently the individual had tried the loads in the Smith and when the backstrap on that had been pushed upward ruining that firearm, they tried tha same load in the Blackhawk blowing the left side of the cylinder completely off.
They apparently weren't happy ruining one fine firearm, they had to destroy the second. The editor (Sketter Skelleton?) expressed surprise that the cylinder on the Smith had held while the beefier Ruger cylinder had failed.
How can one explain that type of mindset?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #13

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Great memories, sir.

Greetings, Tackleberry1.

I don't live there anymore, but I visit the Gun Room every time I go back. Yes, the owner (Warren) is older than I am (not quite as crusty as me, depending on the subject), his prices are 'premium' and his opinions are set in concrete, if not granite. Which pretty much describe me as well. I've known him casually - we're not beer drinking buddies - for some (Lord have mercy!) forty-five years now. He has been in business that long because he is a good business man. And, he's honest. He's a sharp dealer, as they say, but he's straight.

Not only does he not carry 'tupperware', but he doesn't have any of the AK47 variants, either. He sells quality hunting, defense and collectable guns.

He has strong opinions because he's worked on learning about guns, shooting guns and dealing with those who do for that period of time. Which is not to say he's always the most politically correct.

The revolvers blown up: Yes, I saw them as well and heard the same background. No, it wasn't the owner or one of the hands who blew them up. It was a 'customer'. If I may fill in the part you omitted, one of those revolvers was a large frame Smith & Wesson and the other a Ruger Super Blackhawk! Anyone who blows up a Super Blackhawk worked at it.

But, you are right; it's not the place where one drops in every week to see what's new. It's about once a year for me these days, and I'll probably miss this year.

Oh, Tackleberry1. Another excellent gun shop in the Portland area is "Keith's" out in Gresham. Big inventory of new and nice used guns. Just if you're killing time.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 05-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #14

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

OMM

Great response, pretty sure I met Warren. I was ordering a shoulder rig for my S&W 629 many years ago and made the mistake of asking if he had any carry options sized for an NAA Guardian .32 ACP. Big mistake, he spent 30 minutes telling me why I was stupid for trusting my life to a .32 without considering that it might be my BUG! I was not raised raised to talk back to my elders so I let him ramble his Genius in my ear whilel his employee finished my holster order. Shockingly, I've not spent a cent in his shop since.

He may well have 45 years of experience but he'd be doing a lot better if he understood that a 40 year old Infantry Vet with 30 years of experience and a couple thousand per year to spend on this sport is not the customer to talk down too. Just my .02 cents and I vote with wallet.

Keiths on the other hand is very good. I've bought 3 guns from him over the years and reffered many of my Oregon friends to him.

Tack

Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #15

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
But then he proceeded to tell me HOW important this ALL METAL gun thing is because the scrap metal I'm holding is the 3RD GUN "THAT FELLOW" had BLOWN UP!

I don't know who THAT FELLOW is but I respectfully suggested that THAT FELLOW might want to give up handloading because 3 guns should be a sign. Rolling his own is obviously NOT his skill set. HAHAHA

We'll, THAT FELLOW must have been the same gentleman telling the story because he huffed off rather abruptly.
That's a riot. Ever since I launched my boat without putting the drain plugs in, I've pretty much known that parachuting, flying a private plane, and reloading are right out for me.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #16

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Ya think? It'll be another 10 years before I go back to that shop. Their prices were outrageous and the ATTITUDE completely over the top! Honestly, I've no idea how they stay in business.

Portland must be full of guys who like to be talked down to and enjoy overpaying for guns?

Tack
Louisville must be too.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #17

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
That's a riot. Ever since I launched my boat without putting the drain plugs in, I've pretty much known that parachuting, flying a private plane, and reloading are right out for me.
Been there!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
With all of the MIM parts in newer polymer guns, and some of them being irreplaceable (looking at glock), I suspect the legendary reliability idea to go down the drain pretty quick, when not only are parts breaking, but you have to buy a new gun because that part can't be replaced. Sure, all metal guns have mim parts in them too, but you can take those out and put a new one in if it breaks.
There are no MIM parts in Glocks, and there is not a single part in a Glock that cannot be replaced in about one minute, with no tools.

Not sure where you got your info but please go back and do some more research.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #19

Liked 227 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The way I heard the story was (IIRC it's been years), both the M29 and SBH were loaded with the wrong powder (rifle). Both sent to the manufacturers for failure analysis, never returned (if so I'm quite doubtful they were released to somebody else, so I'd be skeptical of a shop having those exact samples- others have blown up rigs no doubt).

The guy who reportedly did this I actually squirrel hunted with when I was a kid, he a friend of my dad.

Indiana guy. Good guy, but made a pretty exciting reloading error way back

Last edited by Hookeye; 05-21-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
With all of the MIM parts in newer polymer guns, and some of them being irreplaceable (looking at glock), I suspect the legendary reliability idea to go down the drain pretty quick, when not only are parts breaking, but you have to buy a new gun because that part can't be replaced. Sure, all metal guns have mim parts in them too, but you can take those out and put a new one in if it breaks.
MAN...thank you for telling me that all my Glocks needed to be thrown away because that reliability issue would rear up and show it's ugly head!

The one pictured below is a time bomb-a-tickin! It was issued to me by the department over 20 years ago, and it has 300 THOUSAND plus rounds through it with one SINGLE malfunction (a crap Sherer range mag was the culprit). It could cause a hole in the time-space continuum if allowed to continue to exist!

BUT...what MIM parts? There are none in a Glock. There are NO parts that can't be replaced in a Glock. Unless they have changed into different guns since I went to Glock Armorers School and became a department armorer, and no one told me....bastards!

Whew...glad I know now!
dscf0842.jpg  

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.