Gun Store Commando
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun Store Commando

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default Gun Store Commando

So a couple of weeks back I had some time to kill between meetings down in Portland Oregon so I pulled out the I phone and googled up the nearest gun store which happened to be The Gun Room in NE Portland.

Upon entering I was happy to see that everyone behind the counter was well north of thier Denny's senior discount. I appreciate this because most of the know it all "shoot what I shoot or your an idiot" commandos tend to be in their mid 20's.

Now, I knew from past experience that particular store only carries ALL METAL GUNS. Big NO TUPPERWARE signs and crochety old guys, we should get along fine.I'm about halfway down the counter browsing a nice selection of Colt 1911's, CZ75's, and Browning Hi Powers when I notice a big revolver laying there with the top strap and top 3 cylinders blown off.

I pick it up to look at it and the aged gentelman behind the counter launches into his "that's why we don't sell plastic guns" speach, which is fine, I see the logic, blow up and all metal gun and you probably just loose a gun, blow up a poly gun and you could be missing some finger!

But then he proceeded to tell me HOW important this ALL METAL gun thing is because the scrap metal I'm holding is the 3RD GUN "THAT FELLOW" had BLOWN UP!

I don't know who THAT FELLOW is but I respectfully suggested that THAT FELLOW might want to give up handloading because 3 guns should be a sign. Rolling his own is obviously NOT his skill set. HAHAHA

We'll, THAT FELLOW must have been the same gentleman telling the story because he huffed off rather abruptly.

I'll admit that it took me a while to come around to poly guns but I've 3 and find them to be decent utilitarian tools which accomplish their purpose just fine.

Anyway, thought that was a funny exchange you guys would appreciate.

Tack

__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
rachilders Likes This 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Tack, good story! i kind of agree. three of them! you would think someone should have learned after the first one!

i like all metal guns, but i too have a poly and i like it a lot. i remember when the Glocks were new, and i resisted for years to even shoot one. plastic guns! what are they thinking? no way those things will hold up over the long haul. yeah, they have proven me wrong. as old age and wisdom have set in, i am not near as quick to condemn as i use to be. i see now that the Glock paved the way for poly guns and proved that they can hold up for the long haul. there are poly guns that are junk, just as we know there are all metal guns that are junk too.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cory2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryville,Tennessee
Posts: 575
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

With all of the MIM parts in newer polymer guns, and some of them being irreplaceable (looking at glock), I suspect the legendary reliability idea to go down the drain pretty quick, when not only are parts breaking, but you have to buy a new gun because that part can't be replaced. Sure, all metal guns have mim parts in them too, but you can take those out and put a new one in if it breaks.

__________________
God created men. John Moses Browning made them equal.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/
Cory2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Live Oak,California
Posts: 1,621
Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
With all of the MIM parts in newer polymer guns, and some of them being irreplaceable (looking at glock), I suspect the legendary reliability idea to go down the drain pretty quick, when not only are parts breaking, but you have to buy a new gun because that part can't be replaced. Sure, all metal guns have mim parts in them too, but you can take those out and put a new one in if it breaks.
well its been over twenty years now maybe in another twenty that reliability thing will go out the window.
__________________

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

rifleman1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Personally, I own both. It irritates me when someone has an opinion and feels the need to interject it onto me. You're welcome to present your opinion to me tactfully and I'll take it into account when forming mine. But try to force it on me and have an attitude and I'm just going to discredit everything you say and assume you don't know ****. How can someone with such a stanch opinion have an open mind?

Besides, they engineer these poly frames to fail in a certain way. Sorf of like crumple zones in a car. When I bought me first gun, a Kel Tec P3AT, the poly frame was something that concerned me. I did my research and found quite a few people that made the mistake of firing +P ammunition in them. There were incidents where the frame blew apart. Surprisingly, no injuries because of the way the frame was designed to fail in case of such a failure.

Don't you think the engineers and manufactures thought about that? Anyhow, I might sound like I'm upset and opinionated on the matter. I'm just trying to shed some light on some misinformation and assumptions. Besides, I did find the story amusing. I can picture the old, crotchety clerk. We have a few of those around here as well.

__________________
Polygon is offline  
rachilders Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,402
Liked 2949 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default

3rd KB? You were not wrong, Reloading is not his forte.
Many people go their whole lifetime without one.
Metal vs. Polymer? I'm in the metal frame camp but, I say live & let live. As for which one is better to blow up? Seems like a stupid argument to me. Blowing up anything in your hand is a dangerous thing and should be avoided. Frag goes everywhere without any concern over the type of pistol it was originally contained in. What about bystanders? Anyone want someone's kid struck by a piece of their gun?

__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Don't you think the engineers and manufactures thought about that? Anyhow, I might sound like I'm upset and opinionated on the matter. I'm just trying to shed some light on some misinformation and assumptions. Besides, I did find the story amusing. I can picture the old, crotchety clerk. We have a few of those around here as well.
Exactly, I love my 1911's, my S&W 629, my CZ75B, IMO there is nothing more appealing than a quality steel firearm with good lines that performs well. However, I also have some poly guns, first was Kel Tek P11 back in 96 when they first came out. The trigger was, well, it was a Kel Tek, but other than that it was an excellent low cost CCW platform pushing 10 rounds of 9 with a 14 round BU mag. That was just unheard of in 96 for a gun that small! Then came an XD .45 4" back in 05 when the first .45 ACP's were hitting the retailers. WOW, that's a fantastic performing gun pushing 13 +1 in a grip size you can get your fingers around. Recently sold that to a buddy for what I had into it. My current primary CCW is my Kahr PM 9. Again, an excellent little gun, uber concealable pushing 6 + 1 9 mm with a trigger that's darn near as good as the DA pull on my 629.

I've now got my eye on the new XDS and am considering accepting another .5" in grip length to get 5 + 1 .45 ACP over my current 6 + 1 9 mm.

So while I know NO plastic gun will EVER pull my heartstrings like the all steel beauties, I also appreciate the innovation they've brought to CCW and get a real chuckle out of the "all poly's are junk" crowd.

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i like my poly gun, an SA XDm40, works like it should, does what's expected. nothing spectacular or fancy, just does it's job. now i will never get as emotional about it like my 1911's or my revolvers, but that might because when i started shooting many, many years ago, there was no such things as poly guns! so blued steel and warm walnut will always have a special place in my heart. i guess i'm just showing my age.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i like my poly gun, an SA XDm40, works like it should, does what's expected. nothing spectacular or fancy, just does it's job. now i will never get as emotional about it like my 1911's or my revolvers, but that might because when i started shooting many, many years ago, there was no such things as poly guns! so blued steel and warm walnut will always have a special place in my heart. i guess i'm just showing my age.
I don't know about showing your age. I'm 40, with 6 years of Infantry service behind me. Poly guns were certainly around when I got started in the mid 90's yet I agree with you whole heartedly.

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Metal vs. Polymer? I'm in the metal frame camp but, I say live & let live. As for which one is better to blow up? Seems like a stupid argument to me. Blowing up anything in your hand is a dangerous thing and should be avoided. Frag goes everywhere without any concern over the type of pistol it was originally contained in. What about bystanders? Anyone want someone's kid struck by a piece of their gun?
Hmm....

I can't believe I forgot about that. It's a great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Exactly, I love my 1911's, my S&W 629, my CZ75B, IMO there is nothing more appealing than a quality steel firearm with good lines that performs well. However, I also have some poly guns, first was Kel Tek P11 back in 96 when they first came out. The trigger was, well, it was a Kel Tek, but other than that it was an excellent low cost CCW platform pushing 10 rounds of 9 with a 14 round BU mag. That was just unheard of in 96 for a gun that small! Then came an XD .45 4" back in 05 when the first .45 ACP's were hitting the retailers. WOW, that's a fantastic performing gun pushing 13 +1 in a grip size you can get your fingers around. Recently sold that to a buddy for what I had into it. My current primary CCW is my Kahr PM 9. Again, an excellent little gun, uber concealable pushing 6 + 1 9 mm with a trigger that's darn near as good as the DA pull on my 629.

I've now got my eye on the new XDS and am considering accepting another .5" in grip length to get 5 + 1 .45 ACP over my current 6 + 1 9 mm.

So while I know NO plastic gun will EVER pull my heartstrings like the all steel beauties, I also appreciate the innovation they've brought to CCW and get a real chuckle out of the "all poly's are junk" crowd.

Tack
You also have a great point. I have a Kahr PM9 and a Ruger MkIII 22/45. I also just ordered a S&W Shield. I can tell you that my favorite gun is my 1911 and I want to get a metal frame Ruger as well. And looking at my gun wish list I think there are maybe two or three poly-frame gun on it compared to an asinine amount of metal frame guns.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Mall ninja/Walmart commando thread General_lee The Club House 193 08-07-2013 11:19 PM
commando knife website culdee Other Weapons 9 02-13-2012 05:09 PM
info on volenteer arms 45 commando shotgunsal Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 0 02-14-2009 11:59 PM