Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun shows becoming too costly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #51
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2696 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default Gun shops causing prices to go even higher

we have one shop here who stands in line when walmart opens to buy out all the Ammo as it's delivered and then sells it at 3x the price! I walked into my local "Big 5" last week and one of the gals working there said "you snooze u loose" when i asked if there was any handgun ammo at all....then she put 2 boxes of Remington .9mm ball on the counter, and a box of golden sabers, and said"you were waiting for these right?"

Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #52

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Walmart stores are supposed to limit each customer to 3 boxes. I've been to them in several states thx to a recent trip and all of the ones I visited had this posted and seemed to be following it.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #53
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2696 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy
Walmart stores are supposed to limit each customer to 3 boxes. I've been to them in several states thx to a recent trip and all of the ones I visited had this posted and seemed to be following it.
and for the most part they do,..but this guy buys 3 boxes EACH of whatever he can 2 or 3x per week...Wally world hasn't had anything I have needed Ammo wise in Months!! surprisingly he's still the cheapest around these parts on .22LR & .22Mag.....and thats 50% of my shooting these days...I feel I have enough Long Gun Ammo(.1.223, 1-30-06 & 2 308's/7.62mm....) and have not shot them much since relocating from the East coast except to re-Zero them...Centerfire Handgun is a different animal...as much as I have I can never have enough,...Went from one HUGE Duffle to an antique wood box. when the box is full i have enough!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1137 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Maybe it is Florida, but I went to the Orlando Gun Show today. Paid my $9 to get in, and spend a couple of hours walking around, playing with the toys and buying some ammo.

First some things I heard. Now this show was not by 10:30 AM when I left, as well attended as the last couple, but it was well attended.

The dealers are starting to deal on guns again. Cash and a concealed carry permit will get you a better deal then the MSRP.

Ammo dealers like Georgia Arms are keeping the cost down. I paid $26/100 for 9 mm, $15/50 for .38 sp, and $26/50 for 230 gr lead cowboy loads for .45 colt, and there was plenty there. The .223 and 556 was pricey at other tables, as the rifle ammo was slow to come down.

Plenty of AR platforms to buy.

Another good show!

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Buy the way, I work for a German Power Generation supplier, not the gun show promoter.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #56

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
The dealers are starting to deal on guns again. Cash and a concealed carry permit will get you a better deal then the MSRP.

!
I"m hoping that what you saw is the trend, not the exception. I expected things to turn around, but didn't expect it just yet.....we can hope.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #57

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I would like to see gun shows return to "Gun Friendly" shows. The gun gun shows are kill floors for greedy FFL holders.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I would like to see gun shows return to "Gun Friendly" shows. The gun gun shows are kill floors for greedy FFL holders.
Seek out some smaller shows for the "friendly" deals.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The gun shows are an example of free market trading. I go to a FFL and ask what is your price. I then go and shop around. I will work them that way. The only gun I have paid MSRP on the last couple of years was my M&P Shield 9 mm, and that was a new guh. Now I have not bought one since Newtown, but I am seeing some relaxation on the gouging since then.

There are some FFLs here in Florida that are not gouging. They didn't at the last shows, and did not today.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
The only gun I have paid MSRP on the last couple of years was my M&P Shield 9 mm. .
Really...you paid MSRP for a gun? So you're the one. I've bought guns online and at the local gun shops, and from a few "big box" stores, and I've never paid MSRP. I recently bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 from Academy, and I paid less than the MSRP...not much less, mind you, but still less. But on the other hand, I've seen a lot of gouging at the gun shows, especially when some guns become hard to get. When the recent shooting tragedies and the hyperbole surrounding them subsides, I expect gun prices, as well as ammo prices to go back to about where they were.