Gun shows becoming too costly? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun shows becoming too costly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have to say these gun shows should supply free lunch, if they're going to have sex with you.....they should at least buy you dinner.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #42

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

With the huge attendance at the shows lately, the promoters running the shows must be raking in the money.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #43

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Our local guns shows, have lost their appeal. Asking prices on used guns are higher than new prices. Many ammo sales are resellers and asking gold prices. We have one local store (that has several locations in central/south FL). They are generally the only ones at the gun shows with same old (good) pricing on guns and ammo--they are generally mobbed. I wound up buying guns and ammo from them at the last 2 shows but came to the conclusion that I can just go to their local store and get the same deals (while also using the range).

Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 143 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 139

For the first time in quite awhile, I staying away from the Palmetto show at the Manatee Center. Last time, there were two lines wrapped around the building, one for ticket sales, the other to get in. Of course everything inside was gold-plated, pricewise, the atmosphere was miserable, unfriendly. I'll probably stay away until everybody calms down, if ever. But I will check out Shoot Straight...lgs.

Last edited by jackrich3; 05-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3
For the first time in quite awhile, I staying away from the Palmetto show at the Manatee Center. Last time, there were two lines wrapped around the building, one for ticket sales, the other to get in. Of course everything inside was gold-plated, pricewise, the atmosphere was miserable, unfriendly. I'll probably stay away until everybody calms down, if ever. But I will check out Shoot Straight...lgs.
Sounds a lot like the one in Sacramento I went to a couple months ago. Parking was $10, admission I think was $13-14. The line for ammo went outside the building. Literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of people waiting in line to buy overpriced ammo.

I went because I hadn't been to one in awhile. I wanted to see what it was like nowadays, amidst the crisis. I did three laps looking at all the tables and almost called it quits, when I actually found the exact gun I wanted. S&W M&P 9c. This one was NIB for I think $500ish. Reasonable price for the gun and the climate these days. So I bought it before anyone else could.

Almost bought some Israeli military surplus 9mm ammo, because the price was more reasonable than anything else I had seen lately, and the military surplus ammo was separate from the main ammo area, so there weren't really as many in line. However, the price still averaged out to $20 / 50 rounds. No thanks. My LGS sells target ammo for $16 for a box. You have to use it that while you're there, but its still cheaper than the cheapest ammo I saw at the gun show. Even THAT'S more than I wanna spend.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #46

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

They sure are costly. But I look at it a bit differently. The ones I like are the huge ones, with scores of tables and more guns in one place. I consider this the same as a car lot, plenty to look at and "test drive" so to speak. You can handle them and get a feel for every thing there and it's a good way to see what you like. It's rare to find a gun shop with the same assortment. It's cheaper to pay the fee toget in than to buy the fuel to travel to gun shops all over to see that amount of guns. Everyone has business cards so you can keep them for reference. Everyone will send you the gun later, after you shop around. Sure, there are some deals there, but those you will spot.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #47

Liked 755 Times on 589 Posts

last gun show i went to was 1998.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #48

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The gun shows started in th the 1950s. Private collectors and gun owners needed a place to trade sell and lean about arms. The rise of political issues also found a home at gun shows.
Dealers FFLs were never welcome. In the end "Greedy" FFL holders and pawn shops encouraged city fathers to control the use of public Bldgs for FFL holders only.
We now have Greedy FFLs who charge buyers to enter their stories on week ends. The gun shows are now nothing more than human "Gill Nets".

Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #49
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3312 Times on 2248 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Gun shows

Have not been to any yet here in Az. But spent lots of my youth and teens with my uncle( a ret.. NYC cop and gun store owner) and my Dad at shows in upstate Ny in the 70's( I know I'm dating myself an old man here!
I keep hearing how the show prices are even worse then what some of the dealers are calling " Market value" prices. I have a half dozen shops within a 30 minute or less drive, and if that's not enough i can drive an hour up to flagstaff or an hour over to Prescott, or down to Phoenix(2 hrs.) but ammo is ammo. When shops are charging 22 a box for factory reloads and 35-50 bux for new factory boxes it makes a guy wish he were still reloading.....
Only just last week some of the locals began selling bricks of .22LR's again! Walked into one place and he wanted to sell me 100 CCI mini-Mag .22's for 30 bucks! The DW will be buying her first .22 target gun tomorrow....because we can't afford to shoot up all our center fire ammo!!!

Dr. Bill(Aka DrFootball)
US Army Ret./Med....

Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #50

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Wow, all the shows around here are like eight bucks to get in and parking is free.
Prices have been higher but it is a supply and demand thing. Things seem to be calming down being local shops here are selling cheaper than the show venders. They had to compete.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

DrFootball Likes This