Gun shows becoming too costly? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun shows becoming too costly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The one I went to yesterday in N. MS was free parking, a good hike to the door and 8 bucks admission. Plus about 30 minutes waiting in line.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #12

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Been goi gto shows for a few years. Went toa couple in Dec. Went to one yesterday - Jan 5. It seemed different form previous shows. Kind of "soulless" or empty. It had far fewer interesting guns. The ammo's were picked-over. The vendors were hassled. Talked to a friend who has a major ammo display and business there. Many tables. He sold out early - popular ammo's. But popular ammo's are widening into not only 223 and 22 but 45 and 9mm. Not only that but he had raised his prices along with the industry - 20 rds 223 for $21. Big change - but he was still selling out. And he was ramping up his reloading operation and planning on driving 10 hours that night to get back to his home base - load up on his workers' reload efforts and haul them back for the second day of the show! - but still selling out. Waiting in line for 1 1/2 hours to get ammo...
The only AR-15 I saw in the show was a Colt for $2,150. Amazing stuff. Talk from the ammo guy of a 50 ish couple who came in and had just bought their first guns ever! another vendor saying he can't get anything from Smith and Wesson - like they have temporarily suspended shipments... Ruger back order for many months...
Crazy stuff going on.
Stories from a gun dealer of Bushmaster losing Army contracts due to the finding of a Bushmaster in the trunk of the Connecticut shooter's car trunk - not even used in the shooting - but politicians screaming for blood anyway!
These are crazy times!
And the whole complexion of the show seemed different - like you didn't want to be there.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Vegas is from free to 4 bucks to park, and 14 dollars in the door, at any venue, but that will get you two days. The last one was a mad house. I won't go again until the hysteria subsides.

Doin' what I can, with what I got.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #14

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

There are really only two that I've seen near here. I rarely see anything I would call a deal. Mostly I go to hang out with friends and look at some of the interesting stuff there. I rarely buy anything.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Have you seen the crowds that show up? No where near costly enough!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #16

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

last gun show I went to was a bust. this was BEFORE the school shooting, but I paid $7 to get in the door, but once inside, I realized that the idea behind finding a deal at a gunshow was like finding a white elephant. everyone's prices were equal to or higher than what I could find on the internet, the only real advantage was that I could buy it and walk home with it same day.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I have been going to gun shows for a long time, likely 25 years. I have never bought or sold a gun at a gun show. I have bought shot for reloading shotgun shells. The only way I go to a gun show is when a large group of my friends go. It's a lot of fun to look at the over priced guns and goof around. No one buys anything we just walk around and have fun. The shows in the Jim Graham building in Raleigh have a door charge of $6 or $7 dollars with free parking.
The first thing I ever bought at a show was there at the fairgrounds in Raleigh. I got a bayonet when I was 13. My dad was pissed they sold it to me at that age without a parent present. I still have it to this day.

However, as for prices nowadays, I have a buddy who runs the circuit. The only deals they have are people who come to sell their privately owned items that aren't vendors. One guy bought a 1990's Thompson for $400. That was a steal.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

what i have observed over the years is the larger the venue, the better the show. most of the smaller gun shows i have been to, not enough selection and many were wanting new prices for used junk or asking above MSRP on new firearms. given the cost of getting in just to view the firearms, it has for me, just a waste of time. i find my time would be better spent going to my LGS instead.

now i have gone to some very large gunshows in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio that were a gun lovers paradise! lots of selection and lots of potential bargains. lots of used firearms and lots of accessories. the larger gun shows are worth, IMO the price of admission.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #19

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

The 4 shows we have in our area are free parking 5 dollar admission

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hasn't been a gun show in my state for 20 years, they're banned. Used to be cheap and interesting with free parking. Have gone to the Springfield, Ma one and that one is huge about 5 years ago. Now is not the time to buy anything, it's crazy out there.
You see the crowds at the shows and you have to wonder how any of these anti gun people ever got elected.