Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Shows (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Gun shows becoming too costly? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f104/gun-shows-becoming-too-costly-80400/)

Poof38 01-05-2013 12:53 PM

Gun shows becoming too costly?

I enjoy going to gun shows now and then to buy reloading supplies, buy specific guns and/or to sell a gun or two. The last show I attended in Phoenix cost $7 to park and $15 per person after a $1 off coupon. So it was $37 for the wife and I. It is buyer beware at these events, but with the added cost, some of the "bargains" don't seem as reasonable anymore. That said, with the fairgrounds parking completely full, the show brought in considerable fees in and of itself. Evidently, the public hasn't slowed down despite the costs, but it does give me pause.

sdiver35 01-05-2013 01:16 PM

I agree it's cheaper to pay the hazmat fee and stay home.

95sniper 01-05-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdiver35 (Post 1080781)
I agree it's cheaper to pay the hazmat fee and stay home.

The dixie gun show in nc is only $7 and they dont charge for parking, but you better get there early.

Rick1967 01-05-2013 01:59 PM

The gun shows that come to Grand Junction are usually only 5 or 6 bucks to get in. Most of the vendors are FFLs. Background checks are now taking an average of 7 days and 22 hours. Why would anyone go to a traveling gun show if they couldnt buy a gun there? I sometimes buy reloading stuff or cheap magazines. But that is just a back up in case I couldnt find a gun I wanted at a reasonable price. Hmm those have been like a unicorn for the last 5 or 6 years anyway come to think of it.

aandabooks 01-05-2013 02:07 PM

My usual show is $2 to get in and free parking. They run about 80 tables and everybody is FFL. Haven't bought a gun at the show in over a year. Just started getting a reloading setup so I haven't priced components yet.

hiwall 01-05-2013 03:19 PM

I refuse to go to that Phoenix show any more. The local ones are about $5 with free parking. Thank goodness for all the flea markets!

Khromo 01-05-2013 04:00 PM

In San Diego, it's about $9 to park (!!!) and about $10-11 dollars to get in. The lines at the reloading and ammo vendors are long and slow, and you don't know what will still be in stock when you get in line. The show is too crowded.

For reloading components, it makes a lot more sense for me to make three or four big orders per year and pay the hazmat fees, which look more and more reasonable after a frustrating day of parking, admission, sales tax, lines, and "We're all out of that."

Bigcountry02 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

Last one in Albuquerque, NM was $5 to park, $7 per person to get in. That was cheap, the expensive prices were with firearm's, ammo, parts, etc.

John_Deer 01-05-2013 10:51 PM

I have been going to gun shows for a long time, likely 25 years. I have never bought or sold a gun at a gun show. I have bought shot for reloading shotgun shells. The only way I go to a gun show is when a large group of my friends go. It's a lot of fun to look at the over priced guns and goof around. No one buys anything we just walk around and have fun. The shows in the Jim Graham building in Raleigh have a door charge of $6 or $7 dollars with free parking.

Poof38 01-06-2013 11:12 AM

It is interesting to see what others pay elsewhere. In AZ, you can buy a gun and walk out within minutes. If you are not banned, they call in to the state police for a background check. If you have a CCW, it is like a "fast pass" and they do not have to do it since you are pre-approved. Some of the vendors are very proud of their wares (read expensive), so it is best to know prices while walking through.