Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun show turnout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The gun show I went too had some pretty great deals. Mags were insane though.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Yep, 20,000 at the last gun show down in Salt Lake City. Can anyone imagine the effect gun owners would have if they turned out to vote like that in Nov.?
Damn if gun owners lined up for hours to vote like they do for gun shows Obama would leave the country.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #13

Liked 343 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 4

At the shows I've been to since Newtown demonstrate three things. 1) Crowds like I haven't seen in all the years I've attended these things. 2) The feeding frenzy is still in full effect. PMAGS, $60, Mini-14 mags, $75. PMC .223, 1000rds $1000. And, 3) Absolutely no deals. Whatever the sticker says, that's what it costs. Going to a show this weekend. We'll see if the fever's going down at all. Doubt it.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #14

Went to the vb gunshow they were raping people with the prices ended up buying beef jerky. I reminded me of the old weight loss adds stop the madness. Lol

Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I went to the local Academy sporting goods store earlier today and looked at the ammo shelf in the gun area. Not much there other than shotgun shells and rounds for calibers like 17HMR, 7mm mag, 270 and 22-250. I asked the clerk behind the counter when they might expect more ammo and he asked what caliber I was looking for. When I told him .22lr and 9mm he said they had it in stock, it was just kept at the service desk up front for the time being. I went to the front desk and sure enough there was 22, 380, 9mm 40, 45, 5.56, 308 and other popular calibers stacked behind the counter. I asked how much I could get and was told 2 boxes per caliber per visit. I asked if there were any recent shortages or problems with regular shipments and was told no, they received ammo shipments 2-3 times per week. It's now kept up front simply to keep individual customers from buying entire shipments at one time. I bought a couple of boxes of Federal Match 22lr at $4 a pop. I may go back tomorrow and grab a few boxes of Monarch (I think it's the Academy house brand) and PMC 5.56 FMJ at $8 - up $2 from the pre Sandy Hook price - and do a little target practice this weekend. FYI,this is the exact same 5.56 ammo I saw being sold at a local gun show last month for $25+ a box. Scalpers where cleaning out the store shelves and reselling the same ammo at a 300%-400% markup. This is exactly why the store now limits sales to two boxes per visit.

FWIW, if I hadn't asked the clerk about it I'd have never noticed the ammunition at the front desk, which had been there all along. I just "ASSUMED" the store was out since it wasn't in the usual location. If you don't see it, ask for it and you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Also, don't pay the outrageous prices you see at the shows or on the internet. It just encourages gougers to help keep prices high and supply low. Supply is finally returning to more normal levels and at reasonable prices. All you need to do is be patient and do a bit of legwork

Last edited by rachilders; 02-22-2013 at 07:35 AM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Though gouging is a real problem, it's a result of a bigger problem, which is the huge orders of ammo by various govt agencies stocking up for who knows what. It immediately put a strain on stockpiles AND components. It looks like a quick solution to the panic buying of guns and ammo. The two ammo producers, Georgia Arms and N. Georgia Reloading, who I rely on for good, reasonable ammo say they're crippled due to lack of components.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

If you knew there would be a confrontation and you could stock up, and at the same time, keep ammo from your enemy, would you?

That is what the gov is doing, and we are in their crosshairs, seems to me what is going on.

I hope for the best, but I expect a SHTF event out of all of this. The next 9/11, Katrina, type event, and the Kenyan and his minions order house to house gun confiscation nation wide.

That is what the 24 year supply of ammo the gov stockpiling is for. I hope I am wrong.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
If you knew there would be a confrontation and you could stock up, and at the same time, keep ammo from your enemy, would you?

That is what the gov is doing, and we are in their crosshairs, seems to me what is going on.

I hope for the best, but I expect a SHTF event out of all of this. The next 9/11, Katrina, type event, and the Kenyan and his minions order house to house gun confiscation nation wide.

That is what the 24 year supply of ammo the gov stockpiling is for. I hope I am wrong.
So do I....So do I

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger52 View Post
The last one I went to here in Vegas in January, I waited the one hour line to get in. Then I waited a one hour line for ammo. I had just bought my first 1911, chambered in .45 auto. I had a measely 100 rounds. I did get a decent deal on the ammo, after the wait, about 42 cents a pull. But now looking online I am seeing a lot of stuff for a buck a shot. Plus is is just stupid to have to buy 5.56/.223 for a buck apiece. I am stocked up well on that, but now I cannot shoot my AR, cuz to replace the ammo today is outta my reach. When will the insanity end?
That seems pretty high for .45 I bought a case of 1000 Blazer .45's for $319 last month. No one is really buying .45 during this craze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders
I went to the local Academy sporting goods store earlier today and looked at the ammo shelf in the gun area. Not much there other than shotgun shells and rounds for calibers like 17HMR, 7mm mag, 270 and 22-250. I asked the clerk behind the counter when they might expect more ammo and he asked what caliber I was looking for. When I told him .22lr and 9mm he said they had it in stock, it was just kept at the service desk up front for the time being. I went to the front desk and sure enough there was 22, 380, 9mm 40, 45, 5.56, 308 and other popular calibers stacked behind the counter. I asked how much I could get and was told 2 boxes per caliber per visit. I asked if there were any recent shortages or problems with regular shipments and was told no, they received ammo shipments 2-3 times per week. It's now kept up front simply to keep individual customers from buying entire shipments at one time. I bought a couple of boxes of Federal Match 22lr at $4 a pop. I may go back tomorrow and grab a few boxes of Monarch (I think it's the Academy house brand) and PMC 5.56 FMJ at $8 - up $2 from the pre Sandy Hook price - and do a little target practice this weekend. FYI,this is the exact same 5.56 ammo I saw being sold at a local gun show last month for $25+ a box. Scalpers where cleaning out the store shelves and reselling the same ammo at a 300%-400% markup. This is exactly why the store now limits sales to two boxes per visit.

FWIW, if I hadn't asked the clerk about it I'd have never noticed the ammunition at the front desk, which had been there all along. I just "ASSUMED" the store was out since it wasn't in the usual location. If you don't see it, ask for it and you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Also, don't pay the outrageous prices you see at the shows or on the internet. It just encourages gougers to help keep prices high and supply low. Supply is finally returning to more normal levels and at reasonable prices. All you need to do is be patient and do a bit of legwork
They've had it behind the counter here locally for over a month. They still never have any. They stock it on Friday night for sale Sat morning. Line is 20 people deep 1 hour before open. Limit is 1 box per caliber 3 boxes total per customer. Not even worth the trip.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 316 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I see the gun show host are putting up signs now that read "THE AISLES ARE FOR SHOPPERS- NOT TALKERS". I guess I have to appreciate this, the shows I've been to lately are crowded for sure and there's nothing worse than trying to get thru the rows when folks plug up the aisle shooting the breeze when they could stand outside the rows and BS. That and the ones who have a double wide baby stroller...those really crowd my Jazzy scooter.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977