Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Gun show turnout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 317 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default Gun show turnout

I started to go a local gun show today....well...I got to the parking lot. There in front of me was a line where the wait time was almost 1-1/2 hour to get in the front door. I saw people heading to their cars and asked a couple if it was any good...they responded "I'm not waiting in line that long". I heard that from a couple others and decided I wouldn't do the wait either.

I've never seen anything like it. Later this afternoon at the watering hole, I spoke to a few others who actually made it in the door, they said it was almost comical. One fella was selling Lake City .223 (1000 bulk) for a flat $1100- no discounts. A buck a pull. Another told me of a young couple who bought a used Taurus 44 mag Raging Bull for $650 and the young gal couldn't even hold it up to aim it (no dickering on it)....another paid $1300 for a used Ruger Scout .308. It was pure nuts.

This is really getting to be something else. I've never seen anything this bad. Y2k and 08 was bad but not like this as far as I've seen.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I went to one today. Magazines prices are coming down. Promags 30 round 29.00. AR15's were 1200-1500 average. Ammo was a premium though. But LGS'S are getting more and more in, prices dropping slowly. One dealer at the show actually had several of everything to build uppers and lowers except for barrels and bolt carriers.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We had a gun show in the town that I live in.....no bargains to be found and people with more money than sense.......I did not go but I understand the promoter made out like a bandit......folks I talked to said it was a waste of money.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I stopped attending gun shows a couple years ago. I never find any deals better than my LGS and the vendors are impatient and rude.
I don't trust anyone trying to sell a Jimenez, seems like most are.
I don't like checking my weapon either.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I went to two this month, found deals in both of them. Ammo seems to be the real problem now. I am not desperate enough to pay 10 cents a round for .22 ammo. Walmart has it about half that, when you can fine some.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Yes, the last few gun shows I went to were disappointing to say the least....

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went to the Greenboro NC show a couple weeks ago and with the ice I got there at the opening time and not many people there. Got some good deals but didn't buy any ammo or ARs those were more than ridiculous. By noon you couldn't move and people were buying ammo no matter the insane prices.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 224

In Nebraska, I went to two shows in two weeks, in January. Prices were a little high, but so is milk at the grocery store, or my electric bill.

I found good 30 rd AR mags, aluminum ones, even Colts, for under twenty bucks each. I purchased 7 of them. I had never seen one stamped Colt, so that was a treat for me. Keeper.

I found an LR-308 mag for 25 bucks, no tax on anything I purchased that day.

I signed my wife and I up for concealed carry classes, fifty bucks off because of the show, and class is in two weeks with an NRA certified instructor. Everybody else I found was booked up six months in advance and more money.

I saw the first gun I ever owned, forty years ago, good condition, $125. It was $18 bucks back then. Is that so bad? Now I wish I would have purchased it! Forty years ago, I needed to bust ass for a month to raise 18 bucks. Now $125 is dinner money out for four, if you are very careful.

I also found a reflex machine gun sight, new in box, $60. Internet it is 120 plus shipping.

Shows are fun. Enjoy the people, enjoy the guns, while we still live in relative peace and freedom. It will get worse. I fear.

Last edited by AR10; 02-08-2013 at 04:33 AM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The last one I went to here in Vegas in January, I waited the one hour line to get in. Then I waited a one hour line for ammo. I had just bought my first 1911, chambered in .45 auto. I had a measely 100 rounds. I did get a decent deal on the ammo, after the wait, about 42 cents a pull. But now looking online I am seeing a lot of stuff for a buck a shot. Plus is is just stupid to have to buy 5.56/.223 for a buck apiece. I am stocked up well on that, but now I cannot shoot my AR, cuz to replace the ammo today is outta my reach. When will the insanity end?

Doin' what I can, with what I got.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

AR10...I know what you mean about first guns and prices 40 years ago. At 14 my parents signed for a .22 Browning Nomad. Cost me $50.00. Still have it! Only wish I had not let other good deals slip by.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling