Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Good show, Bad show? Thats up to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Good show, Bad show? Thats up to you?

Hey all

RON L here,

Not been on the group as much but I thought I'd toss my .02 cents about gun shows, seems like so many haters out there? I know the Jerkey selling, Toys and Digital toys for sales get old But thats all on you? I mean Bring good stuff, to sell, trade or Buy and shows will improve, toss out the non gun sellers who Violate the charter of the shows promoters and Improve the show, Buyers, don;t expect 1960's Prices today and sellers, don;t ask more than Retail and Be fair to the Buyers, in short do to others as you;d want to be done? It's all on us gun shows can continue to suck or we can make them better, or simply sit and gripe about it? our choice? I've made mine, what say you all?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Ron- I will agree with you- to an extent.

If I am looking for a brand spanking new gun, I will probably go to several of my Local Gun Shops- maybe do some bargaining/horse trading/ arm wrestling.

I look to shows for the things I will only SOMETIMES find in an LGS. At one time, we had a lot of "weekend" dealers that would make the shows. Much of their stock was 40-50 years old. Mossberg 22's. High Standard pistols. S&W Hand Ejectors. Oddball cartridges for the collector (seen any .35 S&W Auto lately?)

The last 10 shows I have been to, I own more Mossberg 22s than were in all 10 shows combined. A lot of Glocks, new .40 cal autos, AKs and ARs- but no Colt Woodsman pistols. Collector's ammo? Meh. And death from above t shirts, beef jerky and costume jewelry- and the annoying guy selling stun guns.

Perhaps I need to start looking at a wider venue of shows, start looking for something different- but where I once bought at shows- I now buy on line.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 471

In this area a show is OK if you go with a bunch of friends. I get most of my stuff online. If you go by yourself it takes about an hour to see all the overpriced stuff, get bored and leave.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19792 Times on 11237 Posts
Likes Given: 49873

i have to agree with C3. when i do get the opportunity to hit a gun show, i too am looking for older or more obscure firearms or gun related items. not the new stuff i can get at my LGS or have them order for me. i am looking for things i might not normally see anywhere else.

over the past several years, i have been severely disappointed in the gun shows i attended and they weren't worth the price of admission. mostly new guns that i can see at my LGS, and old stuff priced way too high.

i do much better hitting the used gun and consignment rack at my LGS than i do at the gun shows now.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:22 AM   #5

Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

IMO, the shows are going to suck for a while,

then get better. The reason things are the way

they are now is people are buying all the schlock.

In a while vendors will have to compete better,

then things will improve.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #6
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 453

I only go to one show and that is the Wanenmachers Gun Show here in Tulsa. The main or only reason I go to it is because – every man should experience it at least once in their lives. However, even there they have the jerky, toy, t-shirt, and … vendors; but the beauty of it is there are so dad-gummed many gun vendors that outnumber these others that it don’t make a darn. Moreover, if you get a hankering for some jerky, or your kid is getting restless, or your girlfriend is getting bored – you can buy a little extra time at an event that should take you all weekend.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 156

And most (all?) ban carrying firearms

Sorry, no go for me

Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #8
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
And most (all?) ban carrying firearms

Sorry, no go for me
You are correct. The only thing I can figure out of that is, there are so many guns being pointed at something/someone, at those events they don’t want a “whoops” moment. Look, while at the Wanenmachers show I would venture to say there is a bead on about any person at any given time. I will ask Mr. Wanenmacher next time I visit with him and see who says and why that is enforced. I can assure you it is not because he is anti-carry.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19792 Times on 11237 Posts
Likes Given: 49873

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
You are correct. The only thing I can figure out of that is, there are so many guns being pointed at something/someone, at those events they don’t want a “whoops” moment. Look, while at the Wanenmachers show I would venture to say there is a bead on about any person at any given time. I will ask Mr. Wanenmacher next time I visit with him and see who says and why that is enforced. I can assure you it is not because he is anti-carry.
if i had to guess, and this is purely a guess and not backed up by any facts, but i would have to guess it is probably due to liability insurance reasons for the safety of the attendees.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 156

And yet there's no security in the parking lots.