Concealed Carry at Gun Shows - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows >

Concealed Carry at Gun Shows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344
I agree with you 100%, it just makes no sense at all. I guess I'm not responsible to carry my gun in a place that sells guns and knives, right! Also what really makes me laugh is the sign on the door of my local gun shop. "No concealed weapons allowed". Are you kidding me or what!
Is concealed carry only inappropriate where it is prohibited AND there is a metal detector or physical search to enforce it? Now you are welcome to argue the definition of "inappropriate". IMO- it is inappropriate for anyone to restrict any other person from capably and effectively defending their person or those in their care from direct and immediate attack or assault. Whether it be by sign, rule, or law - none of those will protect an individual when confronted with the unexpected violence of the moment. As they say, "When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Now, I also subscribe to the philosophy that the operative word in "Concealed Carry" is not the word carry! A properly concealed firearm is one that is completely undetectable except through overt and directed action - not by neglect or accidental exposure. Just like golf clubs, the right gun for the existing circumstances is absolutely necessary. A 1911 might be right one day and an American Arms mini-revolver in 22 mag the next day. Sometimes an AR and others a KAHR.

The point being is that each person must determine under what circumstances and what conditions they will go unarmed or permit themselves to be disarmed. As we all know - people will choose their own actions regardless of laws, signs, or somebody else's prejudices.

The acceptance of consequences is the final consideration. Is my life, my wife's life, my child's life worth following someone else's rule AND, if not, am I prepared to deal with the consequences of my decision?

As for me? I will never ever carry a gun anywhere that it is inappropriate or in a manner that is inappropriate to the circumstances or that will draw any undue attention to the fact that I MIGHT be armed. I will never ever discuss the fact that I am armed in public with anyone else at anytime, anywhere. The folks that need to know already do and everyone else has no need to know.

"Carry a gun? Me? I hate guns and have no truck with those that do."

Cheers to all you citizen sheepdogs out there! Keep on "carrying" on!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #22

I'm in MI too.
I think the venders can keep their firearms on them.
I don't have a problem with these rules.
I can see side arms coming out to be shown off or sold/traded/upgraded.

Went to a show over around east side of state-on fair grounds- I was
more shocked and bothered by the fact that there were groups of prisoners in orange
working on fair grounds. Here we are lined up to get into gun show, our vehicles and
venders vehicles parked on other side of building out of view, many of us with ccs and
many carrying long guns and prisoners are walking past us 5-10 feet away.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #23

Those groups of prisoners were unguarded, uncuffed and "armed" with shovels, rakes and a host of other landscaping tools.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #24

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah, I'd be a bit concerned. Maybe not overly so, but I'd definitely be keeping an eye on them and probably call the sheriff's department too. (here, that's who runs the county lock up)

Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #25

I meant they must have been work release prisoners.
You know, where they bus prisoners to do labor.
But otherwise the fairgrounds were empty - the gun show was
in early winter. They did zip-tie all weapons.

Just thought it was kind of stupid too that there were all these
rules for me to follow but they (authorities in charge ) would
think it was a.o.k. to bus in work release prisoners to freely
walk around a deserted fairgrounds while there was a gun show
occurring.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #26

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Maybe I am reading this wrong but I'm a bit surprised to hear convicted criminals, still serving their sentences, are allowed unsupervised in the immediate location of a gun show. I have seen work release prisoners working at the same complex as our local gun shows but the gunshow itself is held at an indoor, limited access location with police and other LEO's monitoring the entryways to the building while the prisoners were supervised by guards and not allowed into the gunshow area. OTOH, if the situation is the way you described it, having your weapons secured and unloaded sounds like a good idea to me if there are unguarded prisoners in the same location as weapons. At least if a criminal did try to grab one of the guns it would be an unloaded one.

Last edited by rachilders; 12-20-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #27

I thought it was ridiculous, but then many of our laws & rules make no sense.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
Maybe I am reading this wrong but I'm a bit surprised to hear convicted criminals, still serving their sentences, are allowed unsupervised in the immediate location of a gun show. I have seen work release prisoners working at the same complex as our local gun shows but the gun show itself is held at an indoor, limited access location with police and other LEO's monitoring the entryways to the building while the prisoners were supervised by guards and not allowed into the gun show area. OTOH, if the situation is the way you described it, having your weapons secured and unloaded sounds like a good idea to me if there are unguarded prisoners in the same location as weapons. At least if a criminal did try to grab one of the guns it would be an unloaded one.
Your talking Michigan here...lol

I Deer hunt just across the road from a prison, I can hear the loudspeaker from the prison tell the boys recess is over..and yes it's State land open to hunting..

Last edited by glockman55; 12-21-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #29

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Something else I didn't think of with those prisoners, in my area, those types are the ones that most would deem safe to return to society any way. The ones who are in jail for child support or one too many DUI's, while the violent types are usually sitting back at the clink watching "I love Lucy" on cable TV.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #30

The show was inside a metal, one story building-no uniformed police at entrance
or inside. Multiple entrances & exits to this building.

Prisoners probably were serving time for those types of crimes but I really don't
care - crime happens when the opportunity presents itself.

As far as I know, the venders are allowed to keep their loaded carry weapons on
them, open or concealed - that's fine with me.

I have been checked up one side and down the other, but I apparently can't be trusted
to carry in a host of places and have a ton of laws I must follow.

But I guess it's perfectly reasonable to stand outside in a line at a gun show, with a
loaded pistol at 4 o'clock and have convicted criminals(doesn't matter what law they
broke) carrying shovels, walk within ten feet of me. I don't allow a "fellow shopper"
in a mall parking lot get that close to me.

I am a short, slender female - one punch could put me down and out or even kill me,
where most of you guys could probably take five blows and still manage to win a battle.
My danger bar is way lower than yours. Most of you guys can handle yourselves in
situations that I wouldn't have a chinamans chance in. I am woman, hear me roar-
yada, yada, yada - I'm not stupid. Equal smequal.

Maybe I'm not giving the authorities enough credit. They could have allowed this
with the thinking that criminals attack the vulnerable and that there's no way the
prisoners would attack a bunch of gun toting citizens. I can hope.

It's like my mother says, "Honey, that spider is probably more scared of you,
than you are of it."
Yeah, yeah Mom. I still don't want the thing anywhere near me.